Traveling with kids is already a challenge right?! What you are packing and bringing along should work for you and not against you…can I get an AMEN? We are all about less is more in our family. So we’ve compiled our list below our essentials for what to pack when traveling with a baby, for the minimalist mama.
Because the less you bring, the more free hands you have. And the more free hands you have, the more easily you can chase around those wild children, right?
Make your next trip more joyful, less stressful. Less stuff, more memories.
What to Pack When Traveling With a Baby – The Essentials
- Gathre Mat – This mat has SAVED us on so many trips (our favorite size is the Midi). Goodbye disgusting airport floor and hello picnic at any moment. These mats are crazy durable, wipeable, and protect those little babes from any germs you want far, far away…and the beautiful designs don’t hurt either. Who says you can’t travel with little AND keep an ounce of your sense of style?!
- Fawn Backpack– Super high quality and exactly the amount of compartments you need, nothing else you don’t. A diaper bag that is just as beautiful as it is functional (my kind of baby gear). Fits perfectly under the airplane seats, isn’t too bulky for pedestrian adventures. Also, Dad might not be completely opposed to carrying this one as well! (Pictured below!)
- Headphones– These are great. Super affordable, don’t fall off, fold up super compactly. I love the rubber-like band that means kids not easily breaking and pulling them apart! You seriously can’t beat this price too.
- Water Coloring Book – Our go-to travel activity for kids because there aren’t 165739 pieces to loose or a massive mess to make. Yes, you can absolutely pack ALL the activities to keep kids occupied (themed zippered bags, window clings, and the like)…I am just not that mom. The simpler the better in our family. For a bit older kids, our go-to is the sticker puzzle books. Again, totally mess free and crazy easy to travel with.
- Baby Carrier – If I could only bring ONE thing on this entire what to pack when traveling with a baby list, a baby carrier would be it. A non-negotiable for traveling with babies. The Ergo is a very sturdy option for travel and we love the Happy! Baby Carrier if you are going to a warmer destination and want something a bit more lightweight. We attempted to trek around Rome in our Solly Baby wrap, and although we love it for at home, it’s just not practical for travel.
What to Pack When Traveling With a Baby Continued…
- Golden Books – Thin and super easy to pack a few of these books without taking over your entire bag!
- iPad– Need I say more?
- Dirty Diaper trash bags– Because it WILL happen in the worst moment in the worst possible location. What to pack when traveling with a baby 101: prepare for the nightmare scenario….because let’s be honest when it comes to parenting that is just how it goes.
- Summer Infant Travel Stroller – This stroller has been with us in the cobblestone streets of Italy, to the hills of San Francisco, to the Redwood Mountains, and countless airports. SO durable, lightweight, easy to fold-up, and has an attachable shade (important for those long sunny travel days), and can lean back for the glorious, coveted stroller nap!
A Few Final Traveling with Baby Essentials
- Clip-on High Chair – If your Airbnb or hotel does not provide a high chair (preferable), we love this thing and it makes meals so easy with a little while away. Folds up super compact and allows you to eat with a babe ANYWHERE!
- JetKids Ride Box – It’s a carry-on, it’s a ride-on, its a suitcase, it’s a bed! This is the one item on the list we don’t have but is at the TOP of our list for our next big adventure. We tried the more economical blow-up travel foot rest pillow for our eldest to be able to lay down and sleep on longer flights and it was a disaster. This will definitely be worth the investment.
- Thermos – Still have a milk drinker and are going to be traveling for long stents? Bring this sippy cup and this one alone! Stainless steel and will keep liquids cold all day, but not as pricey as the hydroflasks!
- Travel Journal – Despite the chaos around you, you are going to want to soak up every.single.bit. of your trip…because a year from now looking back at those memories will be so very sweet and you’ll want to somehow transport back in time. A beautiful travel journal with everything you need, and nothing you don’t.
Thinking about what to pack when traveling with a baby truly does not need to be complicated, because honestly less is SO much more. If you’re not convinced yet, see our 10 reasons why you NEED (I know, I know it’s a big claim…but hear us out) to be traveling with your kids as often as you’re able. (And why it can actually be, dare we say, FUN?!) Cheers to many more adventures with littles in tow being as free of stress and as packed with memories as possible!